Where is the Circuit Clerk's office?

The Office of the Circuit Clerk is located in room 405 on the fourth floor

of the Sangamon County Building at 200 South Ninth Street,

Springfield, IL 62701.


Where can I park?

There are parking meters on the streets surrounding the
County Building as well as a municipal lot at Ninth and Adams Streets.



Where are the courtrooms?

Courtrooms are located on the 5th, 6th, and 7th floors.

Room assignments differ depending on the case type.

For your convenience there are video monitors throughout

the building that will direct you to the proper courtroom.


Do I need an attorney for court? 

While you can file a case pro se (representing yourself without an attorney)

or SRI (Self Represented Litigant), it is always recommended

that you use an attorney.

You can check the Sangamon County Bar Association for an attorney

or consult with Illinois Legal Aid Online


Can Circuit Clerk employees help
me with my legal problem?


The staff of the Circuit Clerk's office is always available to answer

your questions.

However, employees are prohibited from giving legal advice of any kind.

The Circuit Clerk's office has dedicated staff to assist self-help workstations

located in room 405.

The legal self-help software can answer several types of legal questions

and gives users step-by-step instructions on how to proceed.



Where can I find forms that I will need in court?

Most of our forms are available online.

Multipart forms and all other forms are available

for free in the Circuit Clerk's office.


How can I pay fines or court costs?

The Circuit Clerk's office accepts cash, cashier's checks or money orders.

Only Sangamon County residents are allowed to write personal checks for

minor traffic offenses.

Credit or debit cards may be used; however they will be a small

convenience fee.

Do I have to pay my fine in person?

You do not have to pay your fine in person.

Any petty traffic offense that does not require a court appearance

can be paid through the Circuit Clerk's online E-Pay system or by U.S. Mail.


How do I get copies of court records?

All records that are not sealed by the court are available for

viewing by anyone.

Copies are available for a small fee. Documents are not available online due to

the Administrative Office of Illinois Courts policy on electronic access.


When are court records updated?

Most court records are updated the day that court action is taken,

however; some cases can not be updated until released by the court.



What do I do if I miss a court date?

You should contact this office as soon as possible for information

regarding your missed court date.



What is Court Supervision for a traffic violation?


In the case of most petty traffic offenses, a court may issue an order of supervision where the defendant has
a good driving record. Under an order of supervision, the defendant is usually required to pay a fine and/or
attend traffic school and is placed on a supervision for a specified period of time. If the defendant complies
with the conditions imposed by the court by the conclusion of the supervision period, his or her case will be
dismissed and thus will not result in a conviction on his or her driving record.
for a moving violation or if the motorist has a graduated license.


Do you have a question?

Email circuitclerk@sangamonil.gov or LiveChat 

Operators are available Monday - Friday 8:30-4:30 at 217 753-6674




The Circuit Clerk Lookup System may be
unavailable periodically for maintenance.

All fees collected by the Circuit Clerk are mandated by law.

Main Phone

217 753-6674

Contact Us by Email